4 Deck Accessories to Transform Your Deck
Does your old deck look like it could use a face lift? Are you building a new deck and want to make it truly custom and worthy of a home improvement magazine spread? Then you’ve come to the right place. At Outdoor Specialties, our Maryland deck accessories supply store specializes in helping homeowners and creative thinkers like you find the best products for your projects. And when it comes to decks, here are a few areas where you could let your personal style shine.
Deck posts are often overlooked during the deck design process. They end up being very simplistic and are typically made to match the rest of the deck. Meanwhile, you have plenty of other options to spice your deck up. Consider these add-ons to turn your deck posts into a design feature:
- Decorative imitation stone post covers can be used to make your posts look like they are made of stone instead of wood.
- Post caps help complete the look and can even include solar-powered lights to accent the posts and create ambiance.
- Base trim adds the finishing touch, making your posts elegant and classy from top to bottom.
- Tired of rectangular shapes? Many manufacturers offer deck railing posts in a variety of styles from traditional to modern.
Lattice is commonly used on raised decks to cover the space underneath. It’s a smart and attractive way to hide the bottom portion of the deck posts, as well as your lawn mower and garden hoses, from the public view. However, there is also a type of lattice with smaller openings that can be installed on top of the railings on the neighbor-facing side for additional privacy. While traditional lattice is made of wood, you can now purchase plastic lattice that looks just as good, but will serve you much longer.
Handrails and Balusters
Handrails might be a safety measure, but it doesn’t mean they have to be ugly or boring. It’s possible to stay up to code and have attractive hand rails that never fail to impress your guests. Balusters is the fancy name for the closely spaced “stair sticks” that support the railing. This is where you have plenty of opportunities to unleash your creative genius. Here are a few ideas:
- Combine wooden/composite railings with metal balusters for a sharp contrast.
- Use curved or twisted aluminum balusters to add dimension.
- Add transparent glass balusters for a sophisticated look.
- Insert centerpieces or feature decorative balusters along with plain ones to create points of interest.
- Use custom baluster connectors and adapters to build your own unique railing.
Deck Lighting Systems
You don’t stop using your deck when the sun goes down, do you? Meanwhile, grilling chicken for dinner in the dark can be challenging, if not dangerous. Thankfully, there are plenty of lighting options you can install on your deck to illuminate the task areas, set the mood, highlight the design features and ensure safety:
- Post sconce lights
- Post cap lights
- Lighted balusters
- Stair lights
Want to learn more about these and other decking accessories? Stop by our Hampstead, MD decking and outdoor supply showroom. We have many of the above products and materials in stock and our consultants will be happy to answer your questions.